St. Matthew’s at-the-Elephant church site was bought from the Lion Street Baptist Chapel, built as a Victorian showpiece and re-opened in July 1864 and consecrated in 1867. The total cost of the building was £9,300, of which £5,000 was donated by Robert Stephen Falkoner, a local businessman and philanthropist.
By 1988, it became obvious that it was impossible to meet the costs of maintaining the monumental structure so a more cost friendly structure was conceived and designed by parishioners spearheaded by the then Rector Angus Galbraith.
The new and smaller church and community centre alongside a housing project, was opened by Diana, Princess of Wales on December 10, 1993 and consecrated same day by the Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey. A bell on a raised frame replaces the long spire signalling a place of worship. It rings every Sunday morning.